Friday, January 13, 2012
Broccoli Calzones gluten-free
These calzones are so GOOD! Since going gluten-free I've really been craving something pizza-like. This is by far the best recipe I've tried for an Italian dough. The end result is flavorful and chewy. Not crumbly and cake-like the way so many gluten-free recipes turn out. Give it a try! You can also experiment with different fillings: sausage mozzarella and marinara, or ham and cheese.
2 cups gluten-free Bisquick
2 cups plain Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
2 tbsps olive oil
2 tsp italian seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup cooked chopped broccoli
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup Ricotta
salt and pepper
Eggwash: 1 egg and 1 Tbsp. milk whisked together.
Preheat oven to 375
1. Combine all dough ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
2. Using a rubber spatula fold all ingredients together thoroughly until a dough ball forms. The dough should be moist, but still stick together when pressed.
3. Divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Form into balls.
4. Between two pieces of plastic wrap pres each ball separately into a circle form. The circle should be about 8" across.
5. Mix together all of the filling ingredients.
6. Remove the top layer of plastic wrap from the dough circles, but leave the layer underneath. This will help to seal the calzone and move it to the baking sheet.
7. Next layer the filling ingredients onto one half of the circle being careful to leave room around the edge for sealing the calzone. Divide the filing equally between the four calzones, being careful not to overstuff.
8. Using the bottom layer of plastic wrap fold the calzone in half lifting the empty side. Press the dough pocket closed around the edges using the plastic wrap.
9. Unwrap the calzone while placing it on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
10. Brush egg wash onto the top of the calzone
11. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.