Wednesday, January 25, 2012
Chicken Cacciatore gluten-free
This is a great gluten-free meal the whole family will love!
4-6 chicken breasts cut into strips
1 cup rice flour
4 tsp Italian seasoning - divided
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt & pepper
3 garlic cloves - minced
2 bell peppers ( any color) - diced
1 large onion - diced
2 carrots shredded
2 15oz cans diced tomatoes
2 cups chicken stock
1. In a baking dish combine rice flour, 2 tsp of Italian season, and garlic powder and combine. Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour mixture coating both sides.
2. In a large deep skillet or electric skillet on medium high heat brown both sides of the chicken in 2 tbsp. of olive oil. The rice flour will not brown as much as traditional flour. The browned chicken should be a light brown. The chicken does not need to be cooked all the way through because it will finish cooking later.
3. After you remove the chicken from the pan cook the onions, peppers, garlic, and carrots over medium high heat until softened. Add more oil if necessary.
4. After the vegetables have cooked and softened add tomatoes, 2 tsp of Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
5. Return the chicken to the simmering sauce to complete cooking. The rice coating on the chicken will thicken the sauce.
6. Continue to simmer for 20 minutes, and serve warm over gluten-free pasta or rice. Top with Parmesan cheese if desired.