Tuesday, January 24, 2012
This is a yummy Italian side dish that pairs great with grilled chicken or fish.
1 cup arborio rice
1 large onion diced
3 garlic cloves minced
1 quart chicken stock
4 Tbsp. fresh pesto
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
1. In a medium pot warm chicken stock on medium high heat.
2. In a separate deep skillet cook onions and garlic with 1 tbsp olive oil and cook until softened. Add rice to onions and garlic and toast for 1 minute while stirring. '
3. Using a large ladle, spoon a small amount (about a cup) into the rice onion mixture and stir until absorbed - then add another ladle full of stock and stir. Repeat this until all of the stock is used, and the rice is soft and cooked - this takes about 20 mintues. It is important to warm the stock until hot so that you do not cool down your rice while you are cooking it by adding stock.
4. Once all the stock is absorbed and the rice is fully cooked remove the pot from the heat.
5. Stir in the pesto and cherry tomatoes while the risotto is still warm just before serving.